Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Scaredy cat

I hate not being able to sleep, which is precisely my problem at this moment in time. I have tried reading, talking to the cat, sorting out the washing. Nothing is working.

I have many things whirling around my head and the land of nod seems to be a long way off. You see Gloucester and I go on holiday to Egypt on Wednesday. This in itself creates many problems, one being the means of transport that is used to actually get there. And that means of transport is...yes you've guessed...a plane.

A few posts ago I declared that I was no longer a wimp, that I was now a new braver women since spending an entire two minutes twirling around on the Nemisis at Thorpe Park. Planes and flying however are a completely different story. Now, I am not sure anyone understands how scared I am. Even thinking about a plane freaks me out and I can feel beads of sweat forming in the palms of my hand. I do not look forward to holidays, ungrateful I know but that is the way it is I'm afraid, and it's all because I have to endure two flights in the space of one week. Even as I write this I am getting panicky, I mean how irrational is that?

People often ask me why I'm scared, 'there's more chance being run over as you cross the road than dying in a plane crash,' they all say. Now yes, I completely understand that, but at least you are on the ground, there is some chance of surviving and walking away. I can not however fly so, if something , God forbid, did happen then the chances of me landing safely on the ground are pretty slim. Plus, if something did happen whilst in the air and we did manage to land safely, I would have been so scared out of my wits that I probably would have hyperventilated and died anyway!

I have fully equipped myself with Bachs Rescue Remedy, which I predict, I will have overdosed on by the time I board the plane, and have a plethora of reading and listening materials to hand. None of which will distract from the fact that I am thousands and thousands of feet in the air.

My trip away also means that this Queen's Realm, will lay dormant for one long week. I will be sure though to check the hotel, as if internet access is available I will post and give you the low-down on the flight, if not I will see you back here safe and sound next Wednesday! Bye xxx

No comments: