The move had happened. I have packed up once again and left my little flat in Swindon and headed for the countryside of Wiltshire. As I'm sure I've mentioned Swindon does have its good points, not many but some if you like that kind of thing but nothing can beat living in a village.
Just this morning after waking at 8am, and I should point out that it is holiday time and usually I would sleep in until a deep guilty feeling set in, I got ready and went for a stroll to the local shop. The sun was shining, my next door neighbour was mowing his front lawn and the church bells were chiming. I got to the shop purchased some milk and gave a smile to the local fish man who had parked up across the road. At first glance, one may think that this little village has little to offer but actually you can get almost everything you need here. The small independent garage sells petrol and services cars, while the shop attached sells all sorts of bits from food to screws. Then there's the post office at the back - now how many villages can still say that they have one of those? Along the road you have free range eggs for sale which are surprising cheaper than the supermarket seven miles away and then there's the fish man who drives around in his van stopping off in the local villages.
This place is truly idyllic and my only fear is that I will love it so much that it will make going to work even harder. But for now I am going to enjoy the remaining few days of my holiday. I am going to write in my summer house...lay on the lawn and read books...listen to the birds and enjoy the silence.
No comments:
Post a Comment