Today is my birthday. And as it stands at 11.56am, it's looking to be possibly the best yet. Slightly ironic considering, as I type, twenty-five year 7s sit next to me, quietly watching Beowulf.
This morning I was woken with breakfast in bed; it really is my birthday! As I sipped on my coffee I opened my cards, reading their lovely words. Sometimes it really is the little things, a few seemingly simple words that mean more than all the money in the world.
Unfortunately, I have had to come to work today, not too much of a chore as I've cunningly planned lessons that will be easy on both mind and body! I arrived at school at 8am, having stopped to purchase cakes for the other girls in the department. Shortly after my arrival I was treated to a chorus of 'Happy Birthday' from a group of my students, after which they thrust several cards into my hands. Each card said something like, 'Dear Miss Elliott' one even read 'well done you did it your 28' complete with a plethora of stickers and drawings, each possessing their fair share of spelling mistakes and crossing outs - I tried hard not to analyse their spelling but hey that's my job!
So all in all it's been a pretty good day so far. Year 10 made me a card and were particularly nice, a few of them even handed in their coursework. Year 7 treated me to a second rendition of 'Happy Birthday' - a little lump formed in my throat - and then they asked me had I had the birthday bumps yet and all started gravitating towards me!
Only two more lessons to go and it's off for my birthday weekend, packed full of surprises with the ones I love most in this world. The only exception is my sister in Australia, who I will miss greatly today.
1 comment:
Aw, happy birthday, muffin! Sorry I missed it. Hope it was a good one!
Post a Comment