Monday, August 18, 2008

There is no place like home

On Saturday morning I left my house at the ridiculous hour of 7am, bags packed, trackies on, hair tied back with the absence of a brush evident. I set off for a three hour drive to Kent to attend my cousin's fiances Hen Day and to spend some much needed time with my family. I made one stop - at that was purely to buy the largest coffee ever from the services - and I passed through the M4, M3, M25 and M20 with not even a hint of traffic, coffee lasting most of my journey. Excellent!

I arrived at about 10am to the familiarity of my village, familiar roads and landmarks and finally pulled up at my parent's house. My sister and I have this ritual that has just sort of evolved unknowingly over the years, whereby every time we go to our parent's house we seem to gravitate towards the food cupboards and fridge, open it up and check out the food situation - this is all before even saying hello to mum and dad. So after I had surveyed the food stocks and said a big hello to mum and dad, I had a lovely bath in my mum's immaculately decorated bathroom, that had, as usual, been cleaned to within an inch of its life.

Saturday was spent at the Hen day and this meant I could catch up with my many aunties and my nan; played a few games, most involving fallic body parts and drunk far too much Rose wine for 2pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Being a boring fart, I opted out of the Hen evening, which would have involved dressing up in 70s gear, travelling up to London and partying til 4am...too be honest i'm not sure I would have made it! So instead of option A, my sister (who, I might add, is younger than me) and I decided to spend the evening with the olds. Mum, Dad, Sis and I drove down to the coast to Ramsgate, a beautiful , up and coming south coast seaside town and harbour. This was much more my scene.

First stop was the arcades. Noticeably the entire place was deserted meaning that all the machines were at our disposal. This made me a little sad, where were the young British families with small kids? Don't people come to the seaside for their holidays anymore? Anyway, we more than made up for the lack of people as my Sis and I made complete fools of ourselves on the dance machine and lost all our 2ps on the penny machines as we attempted to knock the pennies down that were clinging to the edge as if their life depended on it.

The next stop was Miles bar. A regular haunt of my mum and dad. Here we sat in the window on brown leather sofas overlooking the harbour, managing to polish off a bottle of Shiraz in under half and hour. It was then onto Ages & Co, a newly opened basement bar, tucked in a back alley of the town and housed in a beautiful old brick building. Another bottle of Shiraz later and we moved on to get some food. By this time I was famished and was grateful to find the food at the Thai restaurant delicious. We had a lovely meal, laughing and joking, all washed down with several Tiger Beers.

I looked at the clock and couldn't believe it was only 9.45pm; option A would only just be getting started by now and i felt well and truly ready for bed, thus proving that I know my limits. At 10pm we set off for home, mum and sis promptly fell asleep, dad driving, while I just watched the coutryside of Kent pass me by.

I hope there are many more times like this to come. Beats clubbing, that's for sure.

No comments: