As many of you will know I moved across the country last year to live with Gloucester. Since then I have been making a considerable effort to make new friends and meet people that are not in his family or circle of friends.
Just before Christmas I meet a really nice girl at a party, let's call her Num1, because she is the first 'new real' friend I have made since living here! She is a fellow teacher so we just kind of hit it off straight away.
Since then we have meet for coffee/lunch/shopping/dinner and it has been truly fab to have a girlfriend here to do that with. Anyway, she asked me if I would like to go to this party the other night. She warned me it would be a 'kitchen' party and I knew the type. The modern day tupperware party. The parties I remember my mum having when I was younger. It was probably 1986 and I would sit in my room trying to figure out why on earth ten women were in my living room getting excited over plastic containers and a whisk! Now, fast forward twenty years and here i am. I am now one of those women!
Now, please don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of storage/stationary/organisational implements and am by no means poking fun at this 'kitchen' party. I just found it quite amusing , that's all.
So we turned up at Num1's friends house. There were about 8 chairs in the kitchen and the rep was there getting her pots and pans out onto the table. So we sat, a group of women aged somewhere between 26 and 40, listening to a talk on the benefits of baked stoneware. As i listened intently, sipping my wine, I leafed through the accompanying catalogue, trying to suppress my shock at the prices . I hope to God that no-one could actually hear my brain saying, "you what, I could get this in At Home @ Matalan for half the price!"
After the talk and a demonstration with knives, we all had to put our orders in. I ordered, and yes it did happen to be the cheapest thing in the bloody catalogue, a lovely 'oil and dressing mixer' for the grand price of £8.25. And do you know what? I can't wait to get my hands on it!
2 comments:
I shared similar sentiments when I took part in my first kitchen party. I was even strangely said when I was not invited into a baby clothes party – just because I don’t have a baby doesn’t mean I don’t want to drink wine! But the one I am done with is the sex toy parties – I’ve gone to two this year and really, one was enough. This phrase is totally true – there is nothing you can do in bed that hasn’t already been done (and from what I learned at the sex toy parties – in a sex swing too).
Exactly, wine is the only reason we are there! x
Post a Comment