...because I'm cooking the dinner and playing Crimbo host to not one set of parents, but two.
I'm a person that likes a challenge. I like cooking. I like organising. I like Christmas. I like our parents. So what should be the problem? I feel I have a lot to live up to as every event at my mum's is planned to the nth degree and she's always super organised. And I suppose most of all I just want everyone to have a relaxing and cheerful Christmas.
In order to avoid any last minute cooking disasters I have planned to do a trial run of all the 'major' dishes of the day. Yesterday I made a trifle (yes, not that technical I know) and apparently it's not fashionable to have jelly in your trifle anymore so mine, along with the recipe, was jellyless. Jon and I tucked our way through that last night. Tonight I have all the ingredients ready to try my hand at mince pies. One thing is for sure - Jon and I will be at least three stone heavier even before we've got to Christmas day.
I have also been watching Kirsty's Homemade Christmas on Channel 4 and I rather see myself as a homemade-Christmas-kind-of-woman. These programmes, although I love them, do make me tut a little every time I watch them. I mean who really has the time to go and embroider individual cushions for each guest and learn candle craft ? I was expecting more silver sprayed fur cones - but apparently I've got a lot to learn.
In an attempt to do my best I have decorated my tree with traditional bits, bows and mistletoe and tried to get as many of my presents locally or from small business. I've found a few gems in my quest for individual locally sourced presents. One being a small independent shop in my local town. (Spoilt for Choice 9 High StreetMalmesburyWilts SN16 9AA 01666 829699) The owner designs her own soaps and bath bombs, most of which look like sumptuous cupcakes and good enough to eat. The service was excellent and she wrapped each one individually in tissue paper, tied it with a bow and charged me a modest £2.95.
The other place that you have to visit or at least look at the website is this a simple unique little shop.

http://www.quintessentiallyenglish.co.uk/
Nestled in between the cottages of Lacock (the location of many period dramas, including Cranford) is quintessentially english, a shop selling fine handmade soaps, bath salts and more - what a fantastic present for someone. In my opinion there's a sense of satisfaction when you line the pockets of these small business rather than the hungry high street chains. I would certainly be the first one to moan and mourn the loss of a lovely local business like this.
So my plan is to wo the guests with thoughtful gifts and I've drafted in plenty of booze. All this together with my tried-and-tested menu should make even my amateur Christmas a thoroughly enjoyable one.
1 comment:
Well done my clever girl! You mangaged to pull off a wonderful Christmas. Great presents, cosy and welcoming cottage, great xmas dinner and good fun all round! well done......love mummy, daddy and Archiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment