Friday, June 20, 2008

Smile :)

You may remember I posted regarding a certain promotion a couple of months ago. Well needless to say you didn't hear anything because I didn't get it...kind of hoping you guys would forget. Anyway, let's not be sad for too long because I picked my miserable, self hating, school hating carcass up and applied for a second promotion. This time for the role of Peer Mentor Co-ordinator - now because many people have said, 'eh, you what?' when I mention my newly founded title, I will explain.

According to the Office of Mentoring (yes there is such a thing) : A mentor is an experienced person who provides information, advice, support, and encouragement to a less experienced person, often leading and guiding by example of his/her success in an area. I am therefore the woman in charge of this operation, responsible for turning a germinating bud into a flourishing flower!


As I mentioned I did not get previous said promotion, slightly miffed to say the least but kept telling myself it was because I was all out of sorts that week. So when round two came I enlisted the help of nearly every person in the entire school, I was not going to let this baby slip through my fingers again. If there is one thing I learnt from my previous school, it is not to hide away in your classroom, slowly rotting away and where noone knows your name. Last September i was determined to put myself out there, as it were, and get this career going. I tend to have this tendency of sitting back and worrying what other people think of me but it was my goal to change that part of myself.

So may positives have come out of this new attitude. I love my job...even the kids at times! I have some fantastic friends at school and I have grown to understand just how supportive teachers need to be of each other. During my endless hour's drive home every night I often think about life in general, work etc and I have come to the conclusion that I love my job because of the people I work with. I made a bit more effort and am certainly reaping the benefits. Yorkie, my fellow English teacher has me in stitches every day; Big bear (hope you like your name!) sat for hours helping me with my answers for the interview, pretending to be a stern interviewer even when I become ridiculous and laughed like an embarrassed teenager!

So not only do I have a promotion but I also have a wonderful set of friends that make me smile everyday. And that can't be bad...

No comments: