There is a certain joy that you get from reading that is so hard to describe. I was trying to describe the 'reading experience' to someone who simply does not read anything more than the newspaper every day. After the conversation I realised that I actually felt sorry for them; that they would never get lost in a parallel world, meet and grow to love characters and indeed their make believe lives. I found it hard to understand that walking into a bookshop, library or simply holding a book in their hands did not provoke a sentiment of euphoria, that feeling of anticipation and excitement.
This morning I had a nice lie in, after some over exertion on Friday night, got up at about 9.30am, made a coffee and some toast and set about starting a book that big bear, my friend and colleague from school, had lent me. I was in his office the other day and he is currently researching and writing about the Thames, on his desk was the book 'The Thames - England's River' by Jonathan Schneer. I had seen this book in the bookshop a few months previous and had flicked through its pages marvelling at the world that lie within its pages. I decided not to buy it as 1: my house is overflowing with books and 2: I already have three books on the go and didn't want to be greedy. However, seeing this book on his desk clearly proved that it was meant to be.
So I started it this morning. I curled up on the sofa and began to dutifully read through the preface and completed chapter one. It's an amazing journey along the Thames, from its source near Cirencester, via Lechlade where my friend Teach lives and where we have spent many afternoons walking along the river banks, all the way along through to London. Although I have only read the first chapter, I know I am going to love it. It is interesting that the Thames runs from the West of the country, infact it's source is only about 10 miles from my house and flows east across the country through to London, where its mouth, The Thames Estuary is again only 10 miles from where I grew up in Kent.
Therefore, I am off. I'm off to get lost in history and the pages of this wonderful book for the next couple of hours and I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment