Sunday, June 22, 2008

A near miss!

I had another fainting episode yesterday after a near miss with the end of my thumb.

I was saying goodbye to my friend; we had been out for coffee and she had dropped me off. As I got out the car I continued my goodbyes, 'have a nice day/ see you soon ,' etc and just wasn't concentrating. I shut the door. And in the door I shut my thumb. You know when people say that things went in slow motion? Well, this happened to me. I could see my thumb in the door and I remember thinking, 'right my thumb is shut in that door, it hurts and I need to open the door to stop it hurting.' I'm sure this thought process only took a matter of seconds, but it felt like minutes. Anyway, I opened the door and tried not to look embarrassed at the stupid thing I had just done. I made a few aaawwwwwwing noises and kind of just said goodbye and ran inside.

Once inside I literally chucked my bags along the hallway, shouted to Gloucester, his dad and his mate (they were all drinking beer and watching the racing!) that I had just shut my thumb in the car door, and ran up stairs. I went into my bedroom, flung the window open, laid on the bed and put my feet up as high as possible. All while sucking on my hurting thumb. You may be thinking why did she do that? Well, it is because I always faint. Any slight infliction of pain and i'm off, in the land of unconsciousness.My last episode was last summer on the beach in Cornwall, laying there sparko on the sand after being hit by a bat! (a sport's bat not the animal!)

There I lay, trying to fit off unconsciousness and dreading looking at my probably amputated thumb, for the next hour. While I lay there I could hear Gloucester downstairs, his mate goes, 'you better get her some ice to put on that, some frozen peas or something,' Gloucester's reply was, 'nah she'll be alright.' Bloody charming I thought. Anyway, thankfully I did get the frozen peas and I am pleased to say that my thumb is still intact, if not a little bruised.

No comments: