Saturday, May 05, 2007

Is change as good as a holiday?

So I have finally done it, I have told everyone (well nearly) at work that I will be parting company come July. This is a sad but at the same time exciting time of my life. It is weird that you have this life, this routine for 2 years and then 'Boom' it has all changed. I seem to do that a lot in my life, honestly one year is never the same as the other. Which obviously I know it won't be, but I mean in terms of where I live, my job, boyfriend (!) or some other major change. It takes me a year to adjust to the change I have put myself through and then I think, "You know what I'm feeling far too settled, I know I'll change my job/ move 2000000 miles away/ go travelling."

I was reading the fabulous Frankenstein to my Year 10s the other day, yes it was painful, but I was enjoying it emmensly so I wasn't too bothered and as I read this out I just thought it summed me up completely:

"Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow."

How wonderful is Shelley?

Anyway, Why can't I think my native town is the world? Why do I have to continually strive to acquire knowledge? Why will I in a years time be having itchy feet and be looking for some promotion that will keep me working until all hours?! Or, be looking for another house? Or, be starting a masters Degree?

Don't get me wrong, I actually thrive on the challenges and the changes, I just wonder and I suppose hope, that one day I can slow down a bit and enjoy what I have got for longer than 2 minutes before looking for my next mountain to climb!

For now it is back to packing, solicitor's paperwork, house insurance and of course, Frankenstein!




No comments: