Monday, October 11, 2010

What motivates and demotivates you to write?

This is a question we were asked to consider at my MA seminar today. We are required to bring our 'lists' with us next week to discuss. And, because I have neglected my blog lately due to having...well... no time actually ...(see list!!) I thought that I would share the beginnings of my thoughts with you. I would be very interested to see what motivates or indeed, demotivates you to write.

De-motivational factors:


Lack of time:

Pressure from family/friends

Running of the house

Evenings and weekends usually spent on doing school work, what is priority?

Feeling that I’m scrapping the surface; guilt that I could do much better if I had more time.

No time/space to think about ideas, equalling in ‘forced’ creativity

No time to read

Deadlines

Worry over meeting assessment objectives; what is actually required to get a good mark?

Past insecurities about ability – not good enough

Motivational factors:

Good space in the house to work – desk, PC etc

Tidy, organised house so I don’t have to think about it

Discussion with others (almost always JB) about my ideas – which sparks further ideas

No judgements – no assessment, deadline or reader

Assessment, deadlines and knowing my work will be read

A visit to somewhere ‘inspriational’ for example last summer’s holiday to the Highlands or a walk in the woods or even just observing others from my seat in a coffee shop

Praise from others

Reading a 'good' book or hearing a good story

The desire to, one day, get something published

2 comments:

elliottbear said...

You are a great writer x

Victoria said...

hummmmm elliottbear do I know you??!! :)