Sunday, January 10, 2010

Snow idea...

...that those innocent white crystals would cause such mayhem.

1. Isn't it about time that people gave schools a bit of credit? I don't have enough fingers to count the amount of times I have heard schools, teachers and local education authorities being criticised for either keeping the school open or closing it due to bad weather.

I go for lunch, and there on the table opposite are the yummy mummys complaining about having their social luncheons ruined by having to look after their own kids - scrabbling to find excuses as to why the local primary school are incompetent, 'Huh if attendance is so important then why do they have inset (teacher training) days and then shut the school because of snow.' Sorry but since when was school a glorified babysitting service? And, rather than spending your time socialising, how about you getting yourself to the nearest adult education centre, or dare I suggest it, go and volunteer in your child's school so you understand how they really work. Go on...

As I sit at my table I open the paper, and there's a comment in the editorial rather intelligently stating that they don't understand how some schools can open and others simply shut. Erm...different location...different students...different catchment area...the list goes on. But, as Jon reminded me, that's why they only write for the local rag.

3. On a rather lighter note I have noticed how this cold spell has prolonged Christmas. I can bet that there were many people who didn't even return to work after Christmas before they got snowed in. I say this because I have seen alot of house that still have their Christmas decorations up. Today I saw, in one street, four holly wreaths still hanging on the door and a Merry Christmas sign in a garden- and a shop in the local town still has their Christmas display up, advertising a dancing Father Christmas for a sobering one hundred and sixty-five pound. Bargain.

4. The flip side of the mayhem is bliss. It has been blissful to spend some unexpected time at home with Jon. Not having to get up at 6am in the dark and return home in the dark and then by the end of the week realising that I haven't actually seen him all week except for a swift goodbye and a sleepy goodnight.

My three snow days were spent writing. I finished my 6000 word essay for my Masters and even had the time to go and get it professionally bound. I realised how much I miss out on on a day to day basis , fundamentally: daylight - time - peace - quiet - the chance just to have five minutes down time if I need it. As teachers we are constantly on show, there is no down time, most teachers work through lunch and have duties at break. Jon doesn't even have time to often eat his lunch until 4.30pm. Both of us worked a solid 8 hours a day during our days at home but neither were as tired and drained.

It is those small things that I have loved about my snow days. And with more forecast I am certainly looking forward to it...the yummy mummys however, are probably not.

2 comments:

harrietshamqueen said...

ignorance is bliss .... but to be ingnorant is a crime....x

Nikki said...

You're right you can't win either way. We had 5 inches of snow Thursday and Friday and school was not closed. Parents, students and some teachers were not pleased. But I'm sure it would have been the same had we closed.