It's been a while and a few things have happened. The most poignant being that my lovely grandad passed away two weeks ago. I got the call on Saturday morning and spent the rest of the weekend wandering aimlessly around the house. I decided on Sunday to go to Kent to see my family and then spent the rest of the week helping to arrange the funeral.
So the funeral was last Monday, 12th May 2008. Possibly the saddest day off my life so far. I've been to two funerals in my life, an old neighbour and my 19year old friend, this though was different. As we walked in to the chapel at the Crematorium I was devastated but as I sat through the service I felt calm and at ease. Perhaps this was because my oldest cousin and I (there are 15 of us) were doing a reading and I felt i owed it to everyone, and my grandad to keep it together. Amazingly I read the entire thing, I was so proud of us. At the end of the ceremony my nan had picked an old song she liked called 'See you in my dreams', the most perfect words and the entire congregation sang along at the end. Strange to sing at the end of a funeral, but somehow this seemed apt and my grandad would have loved it.
Another positive was that I got to see my family. I am from a massive family on my dad's side there are four uncles, one aunt, 15 cousins and 7 grandkids. I love coming from a large family and the bond that is there even though we haven't seen each other for ages. We rounded off the day with drinks and a good ol' sing song with the aunties to 'maybe it's because I'm a Londoner' holding hands and swaying our arms. My grandad would have been proud and I almost expected to see him walk through the door and join in.
I can not believe my grandad is gone, however just like the song i have and will 'see you in my dreams.'
Grandad R.I.P xxxxxxxxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment