Why is there always talk about how difficult the teenage years are, those years where you are supposed to find yourself, learn who you are blah blah blah? What about those of us who are ten years older than these spotty-faced hormone monsters?
When I was eighteen I did not have a mortgage to pay and a certainly was not in bed at 10pm every night. Now don't get me wrong I would never, I repeat never, want to go back to be eighteen again, not that there was anything wrong with that time in my life but I'm pretty happy with my life and achievements as they are. The point I suppose I'm poorly trying to make is that I didn't realise how much things change and refocus when you hit your late twenties/early thirties.
It still actually surprises me that rather than downing shots in a club with my girlfriends (a previous regular fixture in my diary) I'd rather be eating a takeaway and watching crappy Saturday night TV with my boyf. Just last weekend I went on a Hen Party to Cardiff and of course it was a laugh and much fun was had but I still found myself on the dancefloor, dressed as Little Bo Beep (don't ask) at 2am wishing I was at home snuggled in bed with my boyf.
Another point is that I'm not sure I was entirely prepared for all, ok about 95% of my friends to get hitched and preggers at the same time! I am delighted that HB and her hubby are now four months pregnant and that was honestly the best news I had heard for a very long time. The same weekend that HB announced her news I spoke to another of my close girlfriends, she got married last year and see told me that she was five months pregnant. Teach and her hubby had a beautiful daughter in May and the three of us girls already regularly meet for coffee. Then we have Sharondie, old colleague and fellow blogger who is due soon and I have just read that they are expecting a daughter - congrats to you both.
Please do not think that I am a bitter spinster - far from it. You will not find me rolling my eyes and announcing, ' pah well he'll only cheat on you, you know'. In fact I love sharing the news and plans with my girly friends and it makes me excited for my own future. The change and refocus that I've been going through for the past year is all positive and I have a feeling that this next year is going to be the best yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment