Friday, March 14, 2008

Life in the fast lane

It's funny how life just plods along, day in day out doing the same things. 6.20am alarm goes off, out of bed, drive to work, teach kids, come home, have dinner, have shower, go to bed, repeat.



Every Friday Gloucester and I seem to end up in the pub. Now this would not be a bad thing, except from the small issue that I am the one that HAS TO DRIVE. Gloucester is so filppant with money, 'nah don't worry, we'll get a taxi,' he says and then swigs another gulp of his pint. You see I just can't justify spending £15 to pay some bloke to drive us 2 miles, yes 2 miles, just for the sake of a few pints. If i'm gonna spend that kid of money I want to get wasted! So i end up watching everyone drink as I sit and sup my glass of coke, quietly thinking to myself that I really shouldn't be such: a) a spoilsport, b) a tightwad, c) so bloody sensible.

Tonight I felt like a change so I left Gloucester in the pub and set off for the shopping centre that has late night shopping. Luckily I enjoy my own company because seeing as I don't really know many people round here I had no choice but to go it alone. After walking round looking at the latest fashions and thinking how the hell i would afford to buy anything on my meagre teacher's wage, i found myself sitting in a coffee shop. Now I'm not self conscious really but I was aware that I perhaps did look like a bit of a loser. Sitting on my own in Starbucks, drinking coffee, on a Friday evening.

The evening did however have a positive end. I returned home with 3 towels and a new duvet cover. Oh life in the fast lane eh?!

No comments: